The techniques you use to treat your acne scars will depend on the severity of the scarring and how much of your face the scarring covers. It is important that you consult your doctor or dermatologist about the variety of remedies that are available for your particular type of acne scarring. If you choose the wrong type of acne scar treatment, you may end up doing more damage than good.
Listed here are some different acne scarring remedies you may wish to discuss with your doctor or dermatologist:
• Augmentation: The acne scars are injected with collagen or fat to lift them to the same level as the rest of the skin and thus making them less noticeable.
• Punch Technique: This surgical technique is done under local anesthesia. It uses a punch tool to get rid of the scar. The surrounding skin is then stitched back together, resulting in a much less noticeable scar.
• Subcision: This technique uses a needle to break up the fibrous bands that cause some sunken acne scars. It lifts the acne scars to the same level as the rest of the skin.
• Dermabrasion: A fast rotating brush is used to remove the top layer of facial skin and acne scars. Dermabrasion is effective but is often painful and may also require a longer recovery time. It is very useful for raised acne scars.
• Laser Resurfacing: This method is very popular and uses lasers to remove the top layers of skin and allows new skin to grow over the acne scar. It is important to carefully follow a post-laser skin care regimen to ensure the acne scars do not return.
• Chemical Peel: A chemical solution is put on the skin. It causes the old, scarred skin to blister and peel off and new skin to replace it. This may be a good option if your acne scarring is not that bad.
The acne scar removal methods listed above are only a small number of those that are available on the market today. All of the acne scar removal techniques have different degrees of invasiveness and follow up obligation. Once you have chosen which acne scar removal treatment is best for you, you need to take into account which one is best for your type of scarring, the cost of the procedure, the invasiveness of the procedure and the follow up commitment for that procedure.
Acne scars are not something that you have to live with anymore. In today's advanced medical environment there are a lot of options available to you that can give you a brighter and healthier looking face and complexion. Remember it is important to conduct thorough research and check with your doctor or dermatologist to ensure you have made the right decision. You do not want to make the wrong decision which will in turn make the situation worse.
Nigel is a successful webmaster and publisher of a Natural Skin Care website. This site features articles and information about acne scar removal and cystic acne. You can also get a free report on Facial Skin Care Secrets.